At 4:04 on 12/19/17, the Thetford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc was called to a firstalarm structure fire on Appian Way in Thetford with Strafford and Lyme Fire
Departments and Upper Valley Ambulance. A neighbor and Thetford firefighter noticed a fire on an external wall of a barn and reported the emergency to Hanover Dispatch.
This firefighter then responded directly to the scene and knocked the fire down while apparatus and other firefighters were responding to the scene.
Upon arrival, Thetford firefighters fully extinguished the fire and completed extensive overhaul to remove any potential hazards. Mutual aid departments were cancelled prior to their arrival on the scene. The horses were removed from the barn prior to the Fire Department arrival by the owner and area neighbors.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an electric water heater that malfunctioned in a water bucket.
No injuries were reported and while the barn has partial damage to one wall, it is still able to be utilized as intended.
This was an excellent outcome and demonstrates the importance of early reporting of emergencies and rapid response by fire personnel.