Lebanon Man Seriously Injured in I-91 Crash
I-91 signA Lebanon man was taken to DHMC with serious injuries after totaling his car on I-91 in Windsor early Thursday morning. Police say 21-year old Tyler Robbins’ 1998 Honda traveled of the east side of the highway and hit a guardrail on the opposite side of the road. Police say the investigation is ongoing. Robbins’ car was totaled he was not wearing a seat belt.

Hazard Beacons Installed at Airport
The Hazard Beacon installation at the Lebanon Airport is complete. The removal of the 38 Obstruction Lights will be done as soon as ground freezes. There were some concerns expressed by some residents about the location and height of the two hazard beacons. Their Hazard Beacon locations were addressed in the Environmental Assessment that was mailed to abutters on August 25, 2015. However on December 7, the airport will attend a hearing Grafton County Superior Court asking for an injunction filed by one abutter.

Dartmouth Professor Mourned
John Arthur Rassias 90, the William R. Kenan Professor of French and Italian, Emeritus at Darmouth died yesterday at his home in Norwich, Vt. Rassias was the creator of the Rassias Method of teaching languages. Rassias joined the Dartmouth faculty in 1965, and served hundreds of students and colleagues for close to 50 years. He was a founder of the College’s Language Study Abroad programs and was the director of foreign study programs for several years. His commitment to communication and cultural understanding was the cornerstone of his life. Funeral arrangements are pending and will be announced at a later date.

Financial District On Hold For Now For Newport
Newport will not be having a school-town financial district in the near future. Newport Select Board Chair Gary Nichols explained that further investigation into the feasibility of combining School District and Town finances has been put on hold until the question of withdrawal from SAU 43 is settled.
Select Board member Jeff Kessler noted that the School Board would have to budget additional funds to support the SAU budget should the withdrawal take place, and suggested that discussions on combining finances should begin prior to the vote in May. Nichols said that the deadline for introducing legislative bills was September 30, so it is too late to introduce 2016 legislation to allow towns and school districts to combine financial resources. Superintendent Gallagher and Nichols expressed disappointment that Newport’s legislators had not introduced the necessary bills following earlier discussions with them.
The NH Board of Education denied Newport’s SAU 43 withdrawal plan because their withdrawal committee had four community members instead of the required five. Plans are underway to swear in another community member and resubmit the plan in January.

Sunapee Parents Voice Concerns Over Bullying
Sunapee parents and concerned citizens packed the Sunapee School Board meeting last night. It was the second school board meeting that parents attended to express concerns over bullying by other students and some teachers and some administrators. In late October, an anonymous flyer was distributed on cars in Sunapee asking parents to attend the November 4, and December 2 school board meetings. The flyer said they were a group of parents, residents, and teachers that wanted to correct the injustices at the school that make it a stressful learning environment. One member of the public said his children attended Sunapee and they received a good education, but some of the things he has heard disturbed him and noted one incidence where a boy not conforming to the dress code was given a pair of woman’s pants to wear.
Several parents stated the problems have been going on for 10-12 years and feel the administration and school board has swept them under the rug.
Sunapee’s Superintendent Russ Holden was hired in June of 2013, prior to many of the past complaints. School board chair Shaun Carrol said the parents need to follow the proper steps, first to the teacher, then assistant principal, then principal, and finally the superintendent since a school board meeting is not the right venue. Public comment was extended for five minutes before the board went into executive session.